With Port Authorities around the world increasingly regulating emissions from ships, the SM-202M Smoke Opacity Monitor is an optical instrument specifically designed to measure the visible opacity of smoke emissions within the marine industry.
The SM-202M uses the single pass light transmission measurement technique, with Transmitter/Receiver arrangement. A light beam emitted from the Transmitter passes across the stack to a Receiver, which measures the intensity of the received light. Increased smoke density in the stack gas attenuates the transmitted light and causes the intensity of the received light to fall. This reduction in intensity is measured and presented as % opacity. The higher the level of smoke present, the more light lost and therefore, the greater the opacity.
- In situ measurement directly in exhaust gas flow
- Measurement reading as % opacity, smoke density as mg/m³ or Ringelmann
- Modulated red LED source for long lifetime stability and immunity to ambient light
- Rugged 316 stainless steel construction
- ‘Intelligent’ sensor so no requriement for a local control unit
- Panel mounting Operator Interface enabling local monitoring and control of the instrument
- Choice of interface options enabling easy integration into ship’s control system
- Excellent reliability record with more than 2000 instruments installed on ships worldwide
- Simple to install, commission and operate
- Easy to set-up via local Operator Interface
- Rugged design with no moving parts so low maintenance
- Latched head and lid design to enable ease of access for installation and maintenance